Sunday, April 12, 2009

Conference/Camping Weekend

Marc was so anxious to go camping that he renewed the conference camp out. We had a total of seven families camping up at Stoneman Lake for conference weekend. (Our most successful camp out yet!) We brought a satellite dish so we could still enjoy hearing conference.
The pictures taken show the sunshine on Sunday. However, looks can be deceiving... Friday and Saturday were freezing, literally. The pipes in our tent trailer were frozen most of the weekend and our heater died; but, we were warm. Our blankets were wonderful and we wore lots of layers during the day.
Every time we go camping I think of the pioneers. I have tremendous respect for what they endured. During conference President Monson spoke of the woman from Germany who had to travel a thousand miles in the bitter winter with her four young children; losing one at a time along the way. I know we were not nearly as cold, but it made it so much easier to understand what she endured. I feel so blessed to be surrounded by so many comforts.
If anyone is interested, we will camp again soon. Probably closer to summer... somewhere a little warmer.

1 comment:

Moira-Lin said...

I am glad that you all had such a great time. But, I can honestly say I am glad I was not there this time. I hate being cold...and the thought of snow, cold, dirt and a tent does not excite me.